Skip To Main Content

Pay your housing rent

As a council tenant you must pay your rent in advance every week, fortnight or month, according to your tenancy conditions.

Your rent is fixed every April. If we have to increase your rent, for example because we make improvements to your home, we'll tell you in writing at least four weeks in advance.

You can pay your rent in the following ways:

Pay by monthly direct debit

The easiest way to pay is by monthly direct debit. You can pay on the 1st or 15th of each month. Download and complete an instruction form:

Housing rent direct debit form [RTF, 1MB]

Pay online

A convenient and secure way to pay, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Pay your rent online

Pay in person

Pay in person at our customer service centre on Regent Street or City Homes office on Arbury Road.

You can also pay anywhere that displays the PayPoint sign, at any Post Office, or at any of the offices listed above using your rent payment swipe card.

Pay over the telephone

Call 01223 457779

  • You'll need your housing rent account number and your debit or credit card.
  • You'll be given a confirmation number at the end of the transaction.

This telephone number is for payments only; enquiries can't be taken on this number.

Pay direct from your salary

Some employers will take your rent out of your salary and send the payment direct to us. You'll need to check with your employer to see if they offer this service and then ask your area housing office for a form.

Your responsibilities

If for some reason you can't pay your rent on time, let us know as soon as soon as possible that your payment is going to be late.

If you're finding it difficult to pay your rent, or if you're experiencing money problems, contact us. Or you could make an appointment to see a rent adviser at our customer service centre (01223 457060) or ask for independent advice from a citizens' advice bureau.

Please remember that we could take legal action if you don't pay your rent. You may lose your home if you don't make arrangements to pay your rent in full.

If your tenancy is in joint names, you are both responsible for all the rent and for any payments that have been missed. If one joint tenant leaves, we can claim any rent owing from the remaining tenant or tenants, as well as from the tenant who leaves.